Not one inch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pdiddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2013
western montana
I did not want one inch of coax to be exposed to UV rays,from the LNBF to the receiver.This is how I set up the AKAK.I found that having some kind of "box" attached to the post,lets you have a slack loop ,splitters,or switches,enclosed.It's something to think about.

Attachments

• IMG_0881.JPG
    IMG_0881.JPG
    1,008 KB · Views: 259
Well that is one way to do it.

I understand the issue, living as I do in UV world here in So Cal. I have not enclosed the cable, but I have run it under my eaves. The only place it's exposed is going up to the lnb.

I have also run the four wire sprinkler cable under the eaves. For that I have a junction box and stranded wire running to the motor and reed switch. The stranded wire is indoor appliance wire, but so far it hasn't failed or corroded.

I have actually had little issue with ultraviolet, but have had to, from time to time, scrape the corrosion off of the various copper wires to maximize connection.
I will be doing that again shortly, along with some other maintenance

Some of the cable {C-Band Ribbon Cable} that I have on my mesh dish has been there for well over 15 years, and it wasn't new when I installed it in the late 80's. Nevertheless, I have run grey PVC conduit underground and come up to 'Service Entrance Cap' to lead out with a loop to the dish, or to a 'PVC Vent Box' to hold switch and lead lines to the LNBFs on the dish. Well, the PVC box is cheaper than the metal....
I do think that your setup is great!

Yeah, my C-band ribbon cable is over 20 years old with no degradation and that's even with a complete teardown and relocation to a new house 11 years ago. I suspect ordinary RG-6 would not hold up anywhere near as long though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts