Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

I was surprised by how much I liked SNW S2E2. I know that the overall feeling is that TNG S2E9 "The Measure of a Man" is better. It's not better, really, because in the overall scheme of things the writing and production value of these shows has improved in 30 years. But TNG did really raise the bar higher than previous Trek courtroom episodes.

Yeah, so the eventual solution to the problem was a big cheat, but what can you do since you know in-universe the problem is still going to be there in 100 years. But I don't think that's really the point.

The point is that there's a really good allegory in this episode about a lot of marginalized groups. That's the sort of thing I think Roddenberry probably would have gone for.

Really enjoyed episode 2 also. Liked the fact that they used the same kind of witness stand tech as in 2 TOS episodes. Nice touch there! I really like it when nice continuity is maintained. Una is back now, and that's good, as I like the character.

One thing I don't get: La'an Noonien-Singh is some relative of Khan, but we haven't met him yet, as that was with Kirk's Enterprise. So, is she a relative of Khan's from the Eugenics Wars era? I've been wondering about this since the first season, but haven't done any digging into it. Since it came up during her testimony and questioning, it made me curious again...

Reactions: TheKrell
Really enjoyed episode 2 also. Liked the fact that they used the same kind of witness stand tech as in 2 TOS episodes. Nice touch there! I really like it when nice continuity is maintained. Una is back now, and that's good, as I like the character.

One thing I don't get: La'an Noonien-Singh is some relative of Khan, but we haven't met him yet, as that was with Kirk's Enterprise. So, is she a relative of Khan's from the Eugenics Wars era? I've been wondering about this since the first season, but haven't done any digging into it. Since it came up during her testimony and questioning, it made me curious again...

The Eugenics Wars happened in Earth's 1990s which predates the JTK Star Trek encounter by around 271 years.

After being deposed in 1996, Khan Noonien Singh escaped on the Botany Bay in suspended animation and was subsequently thawed by JTK in the episode Space Seed in 2267. There were reasonably many descendants of Khan in the intervening generations (assuming that augments can successfully reproduce).

Another ST time travel episode.
The producers weren't entirely respectful of the timeline. Khan was in suspended animation as a middle-aged adult during this step back and the kid was too young to be Khan Jr. and probably too old to be Khan III. They did accurately note the beginning of the Eugenics wars which makes it all the more confusing.

The producers weren't entirely respectful of the timeline. Khan was in suspended animation as a middle-aged adult during this step back and the kid was too young to be Khan Jr. and probably too old to be Khan III. They did accurately note the beginning of the Eugenics wars which makes it all the more confusing.
The timeline changed because of the Temporal War on Enterprise, the new timeline was alluded to in those episodes of Enterprise that Brent Spiner guest starred in, expanded in yesterday’s episode.

Basically, instead of Khan being born in the mid 20th Century (Space Seed), they moved it to the 21th Century.

This tries to make sense of it-

Basically, instead of Khan being born in the mid 20th Century (Space Seed), they moved it to the 21th Century.
The wars began in 1992 as noted in the episode. The characters are all the same, just their part in history has changed in accordance with their respective timeline.

Logically, Khan should have been a middle-aged man.

The wars began in 1992 as noted in the episode. The characters are all the same, just their part in history has changed in accordance with their respective timeline.

Logically, Khan should have been a middle-aged man.
Did you not pay attention to what I posted, I know that from Space Seed, showrunners changed it from the 20 to the 21st Century.

This has been in the works since ST:Enterprise, the episode yesterday solidified it, the new timeline is what happened in the 20th Century, now it happened in the 21st.

Does it make sense, no, take it up with the writers when they are done with their strike.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Did you not pay attention to what I posted, I know that from Space Seed, showrunners changed it from the 20 to the 21st Century.
I read what you posted and I'm not buying it.

The fact that the Eugenics wars began in 1992 in both Space Seed and Tomorrow and Tomorow and Tomorrow tells us that the showrunners did not change the timing of events on Earth's Common Era calendar.

I read what you posted and I'm not buying it.

The fact that the Eugenics wars began in 1992 in both Space Seed and Tomorrow and Tomorow and Tomorrow tells us that the showrunners did not change the timing of events on Earth's Common Era calendar.
from here-

Due to efforts by various temporal factions to stop the rise of Khan and the events that followed, the birth of Khan and the Eugenics Wars were eventually pushed to the 21st century with Romulan temporal agentSera suggesting that "it's almost as if time itself is pushing back and events reinsert themselves."
Then here from the 1st episode of SNW-
"This is Earth in our 21st century. Before everything went wrong. Our conflict... started with a fight for freedoms. We called it the Second Civil War, then the Eugenics War, and finally just World War III. This was our last day. The day the world we knew ceased to exist. What began as an eruption in one nation, ended in eradication of 600,000 species of animals and plants, and 30% of Earth’s population. Global suicide…."

Christopher Pike, 2259 ("Strange New Worlds")

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Bruce's explanation is straight from the current Star Trek cannon. There is nothing there to "not buy". It is what the people making the show say is the explanation.

IMHO, Star Trek spends too much time on the "howcome WWIII didn't start in 1992 like was said in a throwaway line in an episode?" along with, of course, why Klingons look like they do in different shows.

Just go with "because its a TV show and its all made up" and move on.

Anyway, the shows this season are too compartmentalized. A couple of characters do 95% of an episode, everyone else is just a cameo, if that. Reminds me of the last season of NCIS LA, where the actors all had short contracts. They would start an episode with Sam or G or whoever "off on special assignment" and then the others would be the whole show, and then someone else would be off the next week. But that was to save money on a long running show where the actors were getting PAID. This isn't that. They need to do a broad ship based episode with the whole cast.

Reactions: dfergie
Another ST time travel episode. Not as good as "City" or some of the others, but I'm starting to warm up to Paul Wesley as James T.
I loved this episode. I like how we saw a different side of the La'an Noonien-Singh and how she fell in love with Kirk before he was shot and killed by the Romulan. They tied her to existing Star Trek lore with Khan being her ancestor. Also played out that scenario: if you could go back in time and kill Hitler as a child (khan),would you do it ? I love time travel episodes and I hope there will be many more years of Strange Worlds. :biggrin

from here-

Due to efforts by various temporal factions to stop the rise of Khan and the events that followed, the birth of Khan and the Eugenics Wars were eventually pushed to the 21st century with Romulan temporal agentSera suggesting that "it's almost as if time itself is pushing back and events reinsert themselves."
While I can get my head around geopolitical events sliding one way or the other, I'm less prepared to accept that birthdates can shift. George and James have basically the same age relationship in both the current and James' timelines (though George is has died there).

Then again, as an augment, Khan was probably a test tube baby. To suggest that he could arrive at the same megalomaniac result given a significantly different environment is still hard to swallow.

Just go with "because its a TV show and its all made up" and move on.
While that works for crime dramas, this is "science fiction" and as such is subject to a great deal more rules.

I'm also not convince that Memory Alpha is maintained by the showrunners. It is a Wiki that is managed by its users.