TiVo and DISH / Echostar head back to Texas for another patent duel

E* needs to get (1) either get a ruling that its DVRs no longer infringe or (2) litigate with Tivo to the point where Charlie can buy it. Either way, Charlie gets to market his hardware to other segments of the industry.

In the legal context, E* does not have to do anything, as long as the judge does not order E* to turn off the DVR functions. Everything else is hot air.

I was thinking...instead of a licensing agreement, I wonder if E* and Tivo will enter into a partnership? EchoStar could make the hardware and Tivo could brand and market this digital cable ready version of the EchoStar's 922. This would be a killer machine if they could merge all the Tivo HD, VIP Series and Sling features into one box. Additionally, there could be two version of this 922/Series X box: a cable tuner only model for Cable MSO sales, and a two cable tuner/two OTA tuner model for the direct-to-consumer sales. Having been a E* customer for almost three years and after having used a Tivo HD with FiOS TV the past couple months, I would love to see this happen.

I don't know about you, but this sould like a win-win-win situation that could actually help Dish Network add and retain customers.

That is the scenario I am rooting for.

One exchange from the recent hearing that is in the minutes shows the judge urging the parties to settle. The TiVo attorney replied that they were open to it, Ergen only replied with a maybe. So I think Vampz26 assessment of Dish's mindset is currently closest to the mark. Settlement does not seem to be on Dish's current agenda.

Technically, the box for cable needs to have cable tuners which differ from satellite tuners. The rest could be very similar and the user interface would probably be almost identical. That box could be the basis for cable and FIOS products, since they both work the same.

The battle is counter productive for all, let's hope it ends well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts