Voom can be closed down in 30 days. Is it really dead this time?

Oh boy!

Well maybe it's all just some sort of ploy to annoy people in forums like this. I mean, maybe they're really just fine but want to give the impression they're closing down for now...

Get off it guys! No matter what is/has been said about Voom, certain people around here want to spin it into a positive. Even IF they have 46,000 subs, that's still a FAR cry from enough subs to sustain the business. Someone mentioned momentum?? What momentum!!?? An additional 20,000 subs in that amount of time does not consitute much momentum. They need to sign up at least that many a week (or more) in order to have any hope of survival at all.

Look, I've said it before and people have called me crazy. It is next to impossible to find funding for Voom. Nobody in their right mind would invest two cents into Voom after they proved the business is not viable at this time. Would YOU invest your hard-earned money in Voom? I kind of doubt most of you would invest any significant money in Voom knowing what you know about it. If you wouldn't, why would anyone else?

If Dolan drank enough Kool Aide he might want to divest his interest in CVC and do it himself but he's not stupid and I'd be really shocked if he did this. If he did it would prove he really is crazy.

Let's say he obtains funding (whether his own or someone else's). I STILL haven't heard anyone come up with even the faintest idea of how to gain enough subs to keep the business running. They're already giving it away for free--have been for over a year--that still hasn't worked. What else is there? Word of mouth? Spending MILLIONS on advertising?

All the hoping in the world isn't going to make Voom profitable in the foreseeable future. You can take this as a negative post if you want. I would LOVE to see Voom succeed but they aren't going to...period. Not enough people are interested in HD to keep a service like Voom afloat right now. It's over. It has been over. It's a matter of time. Enjoy it while it lasts but don't act so shocked when the inevitable happens. I don't know when it will but it will.

The Rickster

I was to get voom 28 feb 05 they did not show now its 4 mach 05 so Im a would be voomer. Here's my take its a game of chicken now cvc wants more then the terms and conditions of the Letter of Intent. (Charles and Thomas Dolan, VOOM HD, LLC has advised Cablevision that it continues to be interested in completing a transaction on the terms and conditions of the Letter of Intent into which the two companies entered several weeks ago.) This says to my wnats more now. CVC still want to sell but they may be looking @ the sub. numbers and now want more, Voom HD still wants to buy, so let the games start. I think Cablevisionhas the most to lose. Well back to dtv I go........

GadgetRick said:
Well maybe it's all just some sort of ploy to annoy people in forums like this. I mean, maybe they're really just fine but want to give the impression they're closing down for now...

Get off it guys! No matter what is/has been said about Voom, certain people around here want to spin it into a positive. Even IF they have 46,000 subs, that's still a FAR cry from enough subs to sustain the business. Someone mentioned momentum?? What momentum!!?? An additional 20,000 subs in that amount of time does not consitute much momentum. They need to sign up at least that many a week (or more) in order to have any hope of survival at all.

Look, I've said it before and people have called me crazy. It is next to impossible to find funding for Voom. Nobody in their right mind would invest two cents into Voom after they proved the business is not viable at this time. Would YOU invest your hard-earned money in Voom? I kind of doubt most of you would invest any significant money in Voom knowing what you know about it. If you wouldn't, why would anyone else?

If Dolan drank enough Kool Aide he might want to divest his interest in CVC and do it himself but he's not stupid and I'd be really shocked if he did this. If he did it would prove he really is crazy.

Let's say he obtains funding (whether his own or someone else's). I STILL haven't heard anyone come up with even the faintest idea of how to gain enough subs to keep the business running. They're already giving it away for free--have been for over a year--that still hasn't worked. What else is there? Word of mouth? Spending MILLIONS on advertising?

All the hoping in the world isn't going to make Voom profitable in the foreseeable future. You can take this as a negative post if you want. I would LOVE to see Voom succeed but they aren't going to...period. Not enough people are interested in HD to keep a service like Voom afloat right now. It's over. It has been over. It's a matter of time. Enjoy it while it lasts but don't act so shocked when the inevitable happens. I don't know when it will but it will.

The Rickster

Talk about a guy who is encircled in his own box. Can you at least read both press releases and get out of the box and be open minded to see what really is going on. I do not get it. You seemed to have quite an obsession with the demise of VOOM despite the fact that there has been two press releases stating Yes is shutdown and another stating it won't. If you are looking it just this way, you are missing the point.

Well in the first release it was stated that an order was given to the CFO to start the shutdown process. My experience has been that the first to go is a cancellation of existing advertising. I would would watch for that. And yes they can cancel. Just because it is contracted does not mean it has to run. So I would watch for VOOM commercials being stopped. Especially the $1 install which I believe ends today anyway.

(as a side note..I wish the forum would use another spell checker. I am tired to hitting ignore everytime the checker wants to change VOOM to FOAM)

HDNEWS did not shut down - Billnut

I laugh at how scientific people are ..... “HDNEWS doesn’t work for me” therefore VOOM is ceasing operations :) hmmmm

The WORST part of the next few weeks will be people jumping to wild conclusions, posting paranoia and unproven facts.

Billnut said:
Kind of funny though. I was watching HDNews and it just stopped. The snow ended here hours ago so that is not a factor. Didn't mean to jump the gun but with everything going on it just seemed a little strange.

Bill

All I know is that I do visit the DISH forum to read now and then but, as a courtesy to those members, I do not post. Satellite services is become more like a religion or party affiliation...not meant for general discussion unless you want to pick a fight.

hd_SDI_1080i said:
The WORST part of the next few weeks will be people jumping to wild conclusions, posting paranoia and unproven facts.
If that is the worst part of the next few weeks, we should all count our blessings! :D

I am also a Dish Subscriber and I really dislike Ergan and his anti-hd policy but I rarely go to the Dish Forum and start putting Venom on every thread. I may poke my nose once in a while stating how silly E* has become lately. There are E* subs who are quite happy with their service and they do not need my opinion to let them know what is good or bad about their service. I could do that very well since I have E*. The frustrating thing is to have people who do not have VOOM and start putting their Venom in every thread. The Voomers know what is wrong with their service and they talk about it here openly without hesitation. Whether it is technical or finance. Most Voomers are realistic about the situation but hopeful that a solution can be reached to a service they come to cherish as much as any E* or D* sub cherishes his/her service.

This is what I do not get about some posters here. Sure you have the liberty to post anything but don't try to bring points that are already known. I am not saying do not post in the VoOM forum (that is not my message). My message is that you should consider everything and not locked yourself in only "what you know" and close your ears to everything else. The same I will ask of the VOOMERS do not close your ears to only good things and hope about VOOM but also listen and be receptive to know other thoughts and ideas that you or I may not like.

GadgetRick said:

The Rickster

Rick, some of what you state here is true, but some of it isn't reality. I've used Delta as an example before. They lost $5billion? That's BILLION, with a "B". Are people still holding investments in Delta? Yes. Is Delta still in business? Yes. Would I fly Delta tomorrow if I needed to? Yes.

They haven't been giving the service away. They've been giving free installations, they've gone with a lease model on the equipment, but they haven't been giving anything away that I'm aware of.

As for potential investors...they're out there. You would be absolutely amazed at what some people invest in...especially in terms of venture capital.

Lob :)

Confused

I just got off the phone with customer service, he was just telling me they have been informed that voom is not shutting down, and that the news leak is false. They are still signing up people, still doing installs, and according to a memo he just received, they are going ahead with business as usual. They are going to release the new DVR, and are coming out with new channels.

what's going on over there?

zachserine said:
I just got off the phone with customer service, he was just telling me they have been informed that voom is not shutting down, and that the news leak is false. They are still signing up people, still doing installs, and according to a memo he just received, they are going ahead with business as usual. They are going to release the new DVR, and are coming out with new channels.

what's going on over there?

Don't be confused... They have not shutdown yet... Read here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=54831

Has the FCC approved sale of Rainbow 1

Has the FCC approved the sale of the Rainbow 1 satellite and uplink facilities to EchoStar? Why would CableVision start the process of dissolving Rainbow DBS until they were sure the satellite sale was final? Are they prepared to get out of the DBS business regardless of the outcome of the satellite sale? Or is this a message to the FCC? Telling them that no matter what, there won't be a third DBS broadcaster - so they might as well hurry up and approve the sale.

Confused.

No. FCC approval will take a few months. They only recently solicited comments.

my question is, I have a install for sat. should I Cancel or wait it out. You guys are right, WHAT A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE!!!!!! Any help would be greatly helpful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)