CONFIRMED: New version 6.10 has arrived! (Please post your observations here)

Here is the latest word from VOOM: The second software push (for the rest of the customer base, I believe) is still scheduled for tonight. I mentioned that some people are constantly checking whether they are targeted or not. Here is what I was told: "Tell them to relax and go to bed - it will be there in the morning." ;)

Good night everyone!

Try just pressing the standby button once quickly (no soft reset). After download, the box reboots in the last mode it was in. If the box was in standby, it will reboot to standby if you soft reset or power pull.

zim1951 said:
New Software tonight, eh? Well I just got home and my VOOM STB is dead. No lights...dead. Soft reset, Hard Reset....NADA. Different AC outlet....Nada.
Called VOOM CSR, new box coming, through installer of course, scheduled for 8/5/04 service call. Figures...it just figures. :mad:

When I came home my STB was dead I needed to do a hard reboot, when it came back it said it wasn't targeted. Then at 11pm it said it was targeted for 1.10... so let's see if tomorrow morning it will come up with new software.

wasch_24 said:
Not likely and I think that is illegal in some states...
I don't think it's illegal to marry your 2nd cousin anywhere. Anyway, no update here. But in Texas you can marry your 1st cousin if you want. So if we get into next week and no new software, I'll have to keep my eyes open at the family reunion :eek:

As of 7:10PM ET last night the TargetSoftware Version said N/A but during the night my STB did get the update to 6.10 When I turned the STB on everything was fine just no PG, turn STB off waited 10 mins turn STB back on and PQ was there, so in my case there was no Soft or Hard re-boot.

After download of ver 6.10, the signal quality dropped from 96% to 75% and pixelations or dropouts are occurring on many channel feeds. I did get a few new mappings of OTA channels. Any suggestions as what to do for restoring the signal strength received by the dish?

When I went to bed, my box did not show that it was targeted. However, it must have downloaded the new software during the night, because when I woke up it was completely dead. Tried the soft reboot and factory reset. Nothing, it goes through the reboot process, but nothing ever comes up. So far, the first week I could watch Voom. The second week I was without. Third week I had it thanks to an STB swap. Now, it looks like I will lose the fourth week. Maybe Dish Network or Directv can set me up on a plan for alternate weeks so at least I won't be left in the dark.

Received my download last night. went from 6.00 to 6.10. I had no problems with the receiver. Just hit the power button on the remote and came right on. I did notice that the guide info was missing. I had to leave for work but i am sure it downloaded ok. I hope this new version helps the OTA scanning feature.

How do you get the transparent menu that someone posted on here. I got the new software last night with no problems. I ran the scan and picked some SD channels for 10 and 13 now. I didn't see anything about a trasparent menu option.

My STB got updated last night and I had no problems. After the update, I was able to get a few new OTA channels, including WRAL at over 50 miles away. Unfortunately, I am still unable to receive WCTI, at only 27 miles.

I have a service call scheduled to have the antenna moved from the pole (at 6 ft above the ground) to a rooftop installation, which should help dramatically.

Is there a way to add programming info from a second dma? I live in western CT and receive channels from Hartford/New Haven dma and from NYC Dma. It would be nice to have pg info. At least now I can receive channels. I can always buy a TVguide I guess. It carrys CT and NY stations.

Pittsburgh, PA Scan Results

ok, woke up this am and the bedroom box was on. I know I put it in standby before I hit the sack around 11:30. Turned on the tv and there it was, transparent menu! So I got new software upstairs now.

Well, I'm from Pittsburgh, PA, and I've been having trouble with my map to WQEDDT, so first thing I did was scan for channels. I watched as the progress bar stopped at ever channel I exepected to get along the way:

25, 33 (ok, I didn't expect this one, its in Morgantown, WV), 38, 42, 43, 48, 50, 51.

Finally, the list of channels that it has locked on to comes up, with what I had already mapped next to it:

25 2-1 KDKADT 98
38 13-3 WQEDDT1 94
38 80-3 PBS1DTV 94 (blinking sound)
42 22-1 WCWB-HD 93 42 22-1 WCWBHD
42 22-2 WCWB-SD 93
43 53-1 WPGH-HD 99 43 53-1 WPGHHD
43 53-2 WPGH-SD 99
48 11-1 WPXI 97 48 11-1 WPXIHD
50 40-1 WPCB-DT 97 50 40-1 WPCBHD
51 4-1 WTAE-dt 98 51 4-1 WTAEHD

Note the strangeness:

25 gets stopped at, existed in my mapped list, but never shows up in the scanned channel list and when I check the signal the signal strength by using the red button from this screen instead of the green save and continue, it's signal strength comes out at 98 solid.

38 which was in my map as 13-3 but never tuned in, comes in on the scan as 80-3 PBS1DTV. Eighty dash threed!!? There's no vhf or uhf frequency of 80 is there? It's supposed to be getting 13-3 13-4 and 13-5, which are what my tv's internal digital tuner picks up.

My mapped 42 and 43 were the SD versions of the channel, even though the channel guide said it was the -1 channel and that it was HD. With the scan, those channels got the -2 subchannels added and the -1 is now the HD and the -2 is the SD. I can tell my the sidebars on -1 this am that I didn't get before the scans.

48, 50, and 51 were already in my map and showed up in the scan also, unlike 25 which was in my map and didn't show up in the scan.

A new channel 33 showed up which is in Morgantown West Virginia, a fair distance from me. It's getting an alternating 0 and 81 for signal strength. Lockon says it needs to be between 80 and 85 (is there anyway to adjust this? I get channels to display correctly on my tv's internal digital tuner at signal strengths anywhere from 40 up). It's another PBS station. And titantv says I should be able to get it. Titantv says I should be getting -1 -2 and -3.

And finally, no abcnews channel. I guess my local isn't carrying it yet. 51 is my local abc station in HD, and there were no other sub channels besides the -1.

All in all, I'm pretty disappointed that this scan feature didn't pick up my WQED even though it has the signal strength way higher than the lock on required. And whats up with this 80-3 stuff. Did the voom receiver just make this up because it already had a 13-3 in the map. And where is -4 and -5, and -6. Titantv says I should only be getting -3, -4, and -5, but I get -6 on my tv's internal digital receiver as well.

Randy Sherrill said:
After download of ver 6.10, the signal quality dropped from 96% to 75% and pixelations or dropouts are occurring on many channel feeds. I did get a few new mappings of OTA channels. Any suggestions as what to do for restoring the signal strength received by the dish?

Randy, I'll consistently get video and audio dropouts now that I have the new software until I do a reboot. Sure, the reboot takes care of them, but doing ANYTHING in the settings menu afterwards brings them right back!

so far, so good....

After the longest two weeks of my life, I finally got the download last night! :) I had to reboot the box, and then wait about fifteen minutes for the diagnostic download to happen. Finally i was able to scan for the local channels, and I got 21 new ones from Charlotte, NC. Before, all I could get was the stations from my Greenville/Spartanburg DMA. The big thing for me is once again getting ABC HD and FOX ED (and soon HD). I must say that the VOOM receiver is very good at receiving ATSC signals, because the Charlotte stations (towers) are all between 45-65 miles away, and they all come in at 88 or better. Great to have an elevated clean line of sight to the east. So far, I am pleased with the update from VOOM.

SmiGump said:
Randy, I'll consistently get video and audio dropouts now that I have the new software until I do a reboot. Sure, the reboot takes care of them, but doing ANYTHING in the settings menu afterwards brings them right back!

Sorry, I take that back... now nothing I do will get rid of consistent audio and video dropouts. Satellite signal power/quality is 71/94. DVI and component same thing (even unplugged DVI). Unplugged and soft rebooted... no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

This morning I sucessfully scanned NBC-5 out of Chicago. Not a big deal until you realize I'm in Central Illinois and Chicago is about 100 miles from my house.

I received the update last night. Those of us who weren't targeted earlier in the day, must have been targeted closer to 10:00pm CST because I was checking the menu every so often yesterday evening.

Is there a list some place of the fixes? So far, this seems like a pretty un-eventful update.
  • I had absolutely zero problems with OTA channels before, so this mapping did nothing for me. I did the scan and did not get any more channels (other than subchannels that I'll never watch :rolleyes: ).
  • I am happy about the microstutter being gone.
  • I did not get the transparent menu that wasn't supposed to make it, but some people got.
  • I'm hoping that there are no more 2-second black disturbances while watching Voom with this update, but only time will tell.
  • The PG does pick up on the current channel I'm viewing, but it only works for the "All Channels" button. I'd like to see this on all of the other guides. Then I might actually use the favorites feature.
Other than that, is there anything worth noting in this update?

Minor New Bugs?

I got VOOM about a week & a half ago w/the v6.0 receiver, & now have v6.10. Do any of you have the following new annoyances?
  1. Channel surfing isn't any faster--in fact, it now sometimes takes a second longer for the picture to appear when changing channels. I get a black screen w/audio & a second later the picture appears. It didn't do this before
  2. The Program Planner has stopped working. I added an upcoming program from the guide last night ("The French Lieutenant's Woman" for 5:45am this morning), pressing the yellow button. The receiver confirmed that the Program Planner had been updated. But, not so--I went to the Program Planner via the VOOM menu & I get a 'Program Planner is empty' message. Tried several times & the same thing happened

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)