Good Points And Bad Points After The Software Update (Are you Targeted?)

my signals went from 60's to 96, and strength is 76/ 15.49. And boy do those channels finally feel good to change! Oh, and what about turning it on finding the last channel watched! Finally! Great update! Now off to work! :(

I see they have this SNR now with the signal meter. What does this mean ? What would be a good SNR number on the Satellite and Off The Air ?

Ok, I think it is time to merge this one with the topic on top since we are asking the same questions in both. Sorry Geno...

Sean Mota said:
I do not see a difference changing channels... You guys might have a different take on this but I do not see it.

My second box got the update this morning so now they both have it.

Wow, I sure do see a difference in the channel changing speed. Before the update it was taking between 6 and 10 seconds to change the chgannel. This was the primary reason why I was thinking of dumping Voom.

But now it is very fast by comparison and very surfable -- around 2 seconds.

If my signal can hold strong the next time it rains then I will be one happy voomer.

Anyone know what good signal levels are with the new calculations (I've never had Dish or DirecTV before).

Last night I was getting signal power of 78 and signal quality of 90. Before the update I was getting power of 55 and quality ranging between low 30s and low 40s.

Mine came during the night as well.

quality 96
strength 98
instalation screen strength 96
snr 15.84
18" dish

No time to really check it all out other than very quick channel change. But signal to noise ratio confuses me. In the audio world, most of my separate components give a s/n ratio of >90. So this sna must have different base or parameters.

The fact that the last channel memory is now here and that the timer is activated, along with quick channel changes, not to mention the programming, makes this system really great and very competetive.

Shelly

New Software Problems/Changes

I got the new v00.05.5c update on both boxes.........only changes I've seen so far is the warning message when going into system settings......unable to access menu for factory reset (988).......no phone number listed for the reportback feature.......sat signal quality now 97.....off-air signal quality 58......sat signal power/ snr: 69/16.45.........off-air signal power / snr: 79/25.33..........now the # os sat. and off-air channels are all at 0.....the reportback feature always fails, probably because there is no phone number in the software for it to dial...........when tuning the sat. signal, the sat. name box is blank and my signal level is 97, and the beep it now has is much faster and a different tone than before.

On the good side, the channels are changing faster! Not sure what else changed for the good? Are these signal levels and problems similar to what everyone else is getting?

Oh can someone explain the difference in the sat signal quality and power #'s and what's the SNR mean? :)

How about the program planner (click on a program in the guide that's showing in a few hours)? Did you try closed captioning?

Btw, the software update thread is here, in case you missed it.

New Software...

I finally got upgraded after sending VOOM an e-mail. It seems that my Program Planner is now working. As far as close captioning.. the selection for Always on with Mute is now missing.. it's either always on or always off.
Love the faster channel changes. However, the box still locks up. I had it lock up this morning... ;(

Dave

My Readings/Problems

I got the new v00.05.5c update on both boxes.........only changes I've seen so far is the warning message when going into system settings......unable to access menu for factory reset (988).......no phone number listed for the reportback feature.......sat signal quality now 97.....off-air signal quality 58......sat signal power/ snr: 69/16.45.........off-air signal power / snr: 79/25.33..........now the # os sat. and off-air channels are all at 0.....the reportback feature always fails, probably because there is no phone number in the software for it to dial...........when tuning the sat. signal, the sat. name box is blank and my signal level is 97, and the beep it now has is much faster and a different tone than before.

On the good side, the channels are changing faster! Not sure what else changed for the good? Are these signal levels and problems similar to what everyone else is getting?

Oh can someone explain the difference in the sat signal quality and power #'s and what's the SNR mean?

Software Update.. Red Button help?

Got my Software Update last night after sending an e-mail to VOOM. Pretty cool. Love the new channel speed.. and am happy that Program Planner is now working. Also nice to hear that last channel upon powering on is working. I've had VOOM for 4 days now and have not heard much on that "Special" RED button on the front right under the panel. Can someone point me to a thread on this if one exists. I got the gist of what this red button does.. if the top amber line lights up.. it's 1080i.. the next amber line is 780p, etc.etc. What is the setting when all of those lights are on? What should I leave this set at?? I think I currently have the top light lit.. 1080i.
(I have a 57" Sony RPTV) Any help with this will be appreciated!

Thanks
Dave

I got my update! I noticed that it was updating last night around 12am but I didn't feel like waiting up for it to finish, so I went to bed. Checked it briefly this morning before going to work. Channel changing is much much faster, 2 secs and opposed to 8 secs previously. Also noticed my sat strength is now 94, was 59 before. Other than that didn't have time to mess with it any more so now I can't wait to get home.

Got mine as well. Noticed the warning screen, faster channel changing, faster Guide scrolling and the Reminder works!!! Yahooo!!! I only had 5 minutes to play with it before dashing off to work. Signal strength is now 87 with a 24" dish in the Pacific Northwest, which is about the same that I saw on my Dish receiver.

Mr. Biggles said:
I tuned to HDNews which is famous for audio drop-outs....and sadly they are still there. Same for anyone else? Can't say I heard any drop-outs on other channels I tried.

I don't know that I have ever had the audio drop out completely, but I can hear it almost shifting from speaker to speaker. It's very odd.

kirkdj said:
unable to access menu for factory reset (988)
Uh oh. Not that I've ever had a factory reset actually benefit me, but how are people going to debug channel problems now?

kirkdj said:
what's the SNR mean?

SNR typically refers to "Signal to Noise Ratio". Usually the higher the number the better.

dledeaux said:
Uh oh. Not that I've ever had a factory reset actually benefit me, but how are people going to debug channel problems now?

SNR typically refers to "Signal to Noise Ratio". Usually the higher the number the better.

the hidden menu is still there 988 I got that far last night. Did not try to push the factory reset option but I will check tonight. I am sure that's there.

1st Lockup

I pushed the Voom button for the channel listings and the whole screen stayed black except I had the channel picture in upper right corner.....I could not do anything with the remote ...had to power reboot....ok now.

I rechecked my boxes, and I still cannot access the factory reset menu....I press 988 and it does nothing....both boxes the same.

Anyone else's the same? Also are other people missing the reportback phone number, # of channels listed as mentioned above?

One more ? What is this reportback good for.....is it just for pay per view? Or is it important to have plugged in? Because right now this feature won't work on my boxes....maybe because no phone number is listed for it to call out to?

I wonder what will happen at my install next week. Will it download the new code the first time they fire it up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)