Good Points And Bad Points After The Software Update (Are you Targeted?)

kirkdj said:
I pushed the Voom button for the channel listings and the whole screen stayed black except I had the channel picture in upper right corner.....I could not do anything with the remote ...had to power reboot....ok now.

Same thing happen to me an hour ago. Held the stb power button for 10 seconds, and within a minute all my pictures were back with No Info Available in guide. Within a few minutes, all info returned. Very easy for my first reset.

Shelly

kirkdj said:
I pushed the Voom button for the channel listings and the whole screen stayed black except I had the channel picture in upper right corner.....I could not do anything with the remote ...had to power reboot....ok now.

I rechecked my boxes, and I still cannot access the factory reset menu....I press 988 and it does nothing....both boxes the same.

Anyone else's the same? Also are other people missing the reportback phone number, # of channels listed as mentioned above?

One more ? What is this reportback good for.....is it just for pay per view? Or is it important to have plugged in? Because right now this feature won't work on my boxes....maybe because no phone number is listed for it to call out to?

Try unplugging/plugging your stb. I heard that someone had a similar problem not getting into 988 hidden menu and this took care of it.

Impressions about new VOOM STB software version

Here are my initial impressions about the latest VOOM STB software version (V00.05.5C) that I've got this morning.

Channel switching
Great improvement! It used to take 5-6 seconds in 1080i mode and 3-4 seconds in 720p mode. Now it takes less than 2 seconds (sometimes close to 1 second!) from the moment you hit the Channel Up/Down button to the moment you see the entire picture and get the sound. After that it takes another 3 seconds for the small Surf Bar with the channel info to disappear – but that's no problem. Another noticeable improvement is the way multiple clicks are handled. If you press the channel Up/Down twice – the wait time does not increase much and you don't get the intermediate channel for a fraction of a second, the way it worked in the previous version.

Surf Bar
This is a smaller version of the Program Guide that appears at the bottom of the screen when you hit Info or navigation buttons. It has several improvements in the new version: First of all, it is no longer limited to 6 hours. I was able to go as far as 24 hours in both Surf Bar and the main Program Guide. (This was within a few minutes after a reboot. May be if I waited longer I would get even more than 24 hours loaded – not sure.) Also, the Surf Bar now shows movie genre, year and star-rating. In the previous version this info was only available in the main PG, not in the Surf Bar.

Signal Power Readings
Signal power and signal quality readings have increased. I am now getting 76/97 compared to 58/69 I was getting before. I suspect this is just a new scale, not a reception improvement. Wish to be proven wrong. There is also a new SNR ("Signal to Noise Ratio") reading.

Closed Captioning
It now works! Didn't work in the older version. Unfortunately there are only two options in the settings: Always-On or Always-Off. No "on-mute" option, and I haven't found a CC button on the remote. The CC text (that has black background) is positioned too high: above the space that is normally occupied by the Surf Bar. Better than nothing, though.

Program Planner
Program Planner (PP) is now fully operational! You can select a program in the Program Guide and add it to the PP list. There are two ways how the PP may work: you can get a reminder 15 seconds before the program (default), or you can choose the "Auto On" option – which is more useful for VCR and TiVo recording. If you have Parental Control enabled, it will ask for your advance permission, so that the scheduled channel change could occur without your intervention.

Parental Control
Earlier I reported some problems with Parental Control in the previous version:
- Digital sound was never blocked
- Some HD channels had wrong geometry after being unlocked
- Some unlocked channels didn’t stay unlocked after switching channels.
A quick check didn't reveal these problems in the new version. It looks like they are now fixed!

Help
The new version now has a detailed on-screen help. It even shows the layout of the remote and explains the function of each button.

Other Changes
- The report-back phone number is empty in the new version. Either we will be asked to enter it later, or may be they have a capability to enter/change it remotely.
- When you access the settings menu you now get a warning message.
- The STB now remembers the last channel tuned. (I kind of liked getting HDNews updates whenever I turn on the STB, but others complained about it.)
- Hidden screens and menus (9-8-8, 9-7-7, etc.) didn’t change much. Still present though. The only change I noticed is that HD Video Test now works fine for me. In the previous version it didn’t work well on my latest STB.
- VOOM-Info button sequence no longer brings the Version Info page. You should now use Help-Info sequence instead.

Remaining Bugs
I didn’t check all the bugs I knew about, but most of the previously reported bugs seem to be fixed. However, the problem I documented here is still not fixed: the Manual Tuning screen still shows "Right_Ve" polarity for channels like 261 or 262 that in reality have "Left_Horiz" polarity. No big deal – just a bit confusing.

Lock-ups
Now the bad news... My STB locked up four times this morning. Twice when I was getting to the Help-Info page, once when I was browsing with the Surf Bar, and once when I pressed the VOOM button. In two cases I ended up with a small window in the upper-right corner, in the other two – I got stuck on a channel. Of course I put an unusually heavy "stress" on my STB this morning: probably did more remote clicks, than I would normally do within an entire week, but still frustrating…
In addition, on a few occasions I saw a black screen or a gray screen for a second or two. Don't know if this was a broadcast problem or a new glitch, but I don't remember seeing this before.

Conclusion
Overall, I like the new version. I think it is a significant improvement. Most of the problems seem to be fixed. Missing features implemented. Still, some major requests remain outstanding: OTA scanning (or manual tuning) is probably the most important one. And whether there is any improvement with the lockup problems – remains to be seen...

Closed Captions

I would assume that they removed the option to have closed captions on while "mute" for a very good reason. The Voom remote Mute's your TV and not the Voom box, therefore this option would have no effect. Hopefully a new remote is in the "plans" The current one is good, but it needs a few more options. Most important, in my opinion is the ability to control your external audio system as i do not think that have produced a HDTV yet that has 5.1 audio sound. (if there WAS a tv that included 5.1 that would be great! Then the voom remote would actually be useful for sound)

PS - I am not trying to insult anyone who may be running the voom sound driectly to the TV and not using external audio.

1) Very nice writeup of your impressions Ilya. Thanks.

2) Sean, I think that most people use a programmable remote. It is more convenient and reduces clutter. I use MX500 for all my video and audio gear. I don't use Voom remote at all.

andrzej said:
2) Sean, I think that most people use a programmable remote. It is more convenient and reduces clutter. I use MX500 for all my video and audio gear. I don't use Voom remote at all.

I also use a programmable remote from my Sony Clie. But there is still no way that I know of to Mute the voom box, so a "captions on while mute" is still not a viable option. you have to be able to mute the audio directly in the voom box (like you can with the Comcast Motorola box's) for this to work. This must be why they removed the option in the new software. (they don't want an option that can't be used it just confuses people)

Excellent summary Ilya...Maybe you could create a new thread on this keep documenting anymore changes or bugs that were not fixed and pass a whole summary to Wilt. We keep using this thread to report problems bugs and even new features but you can use the other to have it in a clean thread... Just an idea...

Sean Mota said:
What do you mean? I can go as far as three days in advance with mine. BTW, I just go home and no upgrade. :)

I never had more than 6 hour advance in guide either. No update here yet but larger dish works great.

Sean Mota said:
Excellent summary Ilya...Maybe you could create a new thread on this keep documenting anymore changes or bugs that were not fixed and pass a whole summary to Wilt. We keep using this thread to report problems bugs and even new features but you can use the other to have it in a clean thread... Just an idea...

Ok, Here it is!

pmalve said:
I never had more than 6 hour advance in guide either. No update here yet but larger dish works great.

Last night i was able to go out 3 days.....I have the new code....

Houston we have no Problem : I checked here in Houston and the new software was in this morning when I checked at 7:30....The channels changing is a surfer's dream. I did not check signal strength but the CC was working on sd channels Not Hd channels. I quess that the programer or broadcaster have to turn it on in the HD area. Thats my quess does anyone know for sure? I had to leave for work but will check the other upgrades later today.

Dawson9 You asked about your Sony 57 rptv ....leave it at 1080 i the top line on your reciever box. Also my name is Dawson and have a Sony 57 rptv . I guess us Dawson's have good taste. Hope this helps....Who knows we may kin.....HD=Voom

pmalve said:
I never had more than 6 hour advance in guide either...
I checked my STB yesterday before getting the version update. Sean Mota, was right - the PG was showing almost 3 days ahead. It's only the Surf Bar that was limited to 6 hours! I am using the Surf Bar much more often than the full-screen PG. So I guess, I never checked how far PG really goes, and always assumed that it had the same 6-hour limitation! All these months I wished I had more than 6 hours of PG... :)

Or is it just the newer box that can store 3 days of PG? One of the CSRs mentioned to me that the newer box had more memory, though I didn't believe it...

That's been repeated more than once Ilya. It's supposed to be a major difference with the new box. More memory to make things faster.

pdqbobe said:
.....but the CC was working on sd channels Not Hd channels. I quess that the programer or broadcaster have to turn it on in the HD area. Thats my quess does anyone know for sure?

That's true. There is no CC currently broadcast on HD programs.

Hello,

This new software update is awesome. Before I was getting low to mid 20's for signal and could hardly watch anything because it was breaking up so bad. I was going to call Voom today, but desided to see if I got the new update. Well now my signal is high 70's low 80's and I am not having any problem with my channels breaking up. I am so happy now I can enjoy voom. Thank you very much Voom you all rock.

Dan

Sean....Reboot Did It

Just wanted to let all know that unpluging for 10 sec. brought back the hidden menu 988...........I also got in touch Peter Rees at Voom with email to Wilt...they said they added the missing ota channel that I had, should see it by end of week.........thanks for the help! ;)

No Update yet

Just a quick poll to see how many others here have not received the update yet. I have not, and according to system status I am not targeted either. Tonite is repordedly the last nite. (according to one source anyway....others are sticking to the 10% a day theory). My STB is in standby from 8PM every nite to 3PM the next day, so its not like they didn't have the chance to slip me the update or targeting info.

One thing I did notice is that as of today my authorization status has changed from SWO on all channels, to a status of MP now, Not sure what this means, but if anyone else has a chance to take a look at your subscription status I would be interested to know what other peoples say
-------------
Status now back to SWO.....no clue what that was all about

Still waiting for update. Does any one know if they are done or still spooling the update?

Tonight is not the last night. Wilt said everyone would have it by the end of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)