New Software Coming Or Not?

watch for him on the divine channel.

I wonder if one of the trannies will announce the new download?

Just be happy M$ isn't coding this software.

It would crash left and right. You'd only get some of the stuff for free. If you wanted a better/smarter interface. M$ would offer tiers to pay for and get more of you money.

Just like hotmail was 10 meg, then all the sudden they offer 250 times the storage because they got own3d by Yahoo.

Would be nice to see DirectTV or Dish give out free PVR with abilities to network to your computers. All the sudden Voom and the rest would have to keep up with the Jones and give away free sh*t too.

I wish the 'free email storage wars' would spill over into satellite TV.

Whenever the next Voom software comes most of the board will say it sucks. I don't see anything I really want in the next update so I don't care until something significant comes along.

I think two months will be about right which will put it close to Oct. According to what I have been hearing voom is going to MPEG4/WM9 around this time. So I would think the new software should be out.

jimmykce1 said:
I think two months will be about right which will put it close to Oct. According to what I have been hearing voom is going to MPEG4/WM9 around this time. So I would think the new software should be out.

In order to roll out WM9 they will have to schedule 20,000+ service calls and ensure that every call is completed before they can switch. At about the same time they will need to schedule 20,000+ service calls to install the promised oval dish. And - oh yeah - they will need to schedule 20,000+ service calls to swap out the receivers for DVR's. If they just held off on the WM9 upgrade until they ship the DVR, and are savvy enough to get the oval dishes installed at the same time - they will still take many months. I predict we are looking at next May before it is all completed, given the winter months and supply issues which will be a challenge.

bbtkd said:
And - oh yeah - they will need to schedule 20,000+ service calls to swap out the receivers for DVR's.

Who said everyone wants a DVR or wants to pay for one? I was under the impression that the DVR would be optional and those wanting it would pay an additional fee. I don't remember anyone saying having and paying for the DVR would be manditory.

I could care less about a DVR, never had one and don't really want one.

If there's a rental option, I think I'll probably end up paying just about whatever it costs to get that DVR solution in my house.

bryan27 said:

Don't ever get one, cause if you do, you'll never understand how you lived without one for so long. They're GRRREAT!

Never having to sit through commercials again is worth i'ts weight in gold.

Never miss your favorite shows or movies. (provided you schedule it to record)

Never worry about someone saying "WOW, did you see that?" and you missed it because you can just rewind it an look at it 100 times if you want.

When the phone rings in the middle of your favorite show you just pause it, answer the phone, talk for as long as you want, then go right back to your show without missing a beat.

Never have to program that crappy PQ VCR to record anything ever again.

It's a whole new way of watching TV. A much better way. And being able to do it at full resolution HD will be AWESOME.

NOHDjunkie said:
Don't ever get one, cause if you do, you'll never understand how you lived without one for so long. They're GRRREAT!

Never having to sit through commercials again is worth i'ts weight in gold.

Never miss your favorite shows or movies. (provided you schedule it to record)

Never worry about someone saying "WOW, did you see that?" and you missed it because you can just rewind it an look at it 100 times if you want.

When the phone rings in the middle of your favorite show you just pause it, answer the phone, talk for as long as you want, then go right back to your show without missing a beat.

Never have to program that crappy PQ VCR to record anything ever again.

It's a whole new way of watching TV. A much better way. And being able to do it at full resolution HD will be AWESOME.

Stop it! You're making me drool. :D

bbtkd said:
I predict we are looking at next May before it is all completed, given the winter months and supply issues which will be a challenge.
I agree with this statement....no way is VOOM going to install all those new dishes in time for October of this year. They actually would have to start the installs right now to be ready for October.....next year sounds like a more logical time for the transfer to be complete....remember we are still waiting for a software update that was supposed have happened already.

I keep hearing about Voom going with WM9 over MPEG4 starting in Oct. 2004. But what about WM10? I have the Beta 10 update on my PC now and i have had it for over a month.

007BlackMan said:
I keep hearing about Voom going with WM9 over MPEG4 starting in Oct. 2004. But what about WM10? I have the Beta 10 update on my PC now and i have had it for over a month.

And which commercial system is using WM10 or has immediate plans to use it?

FrankJo said:
Does anyone have any idea if the new software is coming soon? Or, is it not coming soon? Has this been just hype and the new software isn't coming anytime soon?

Does anyone know anything definitively, or even close to definitively?

Can Wilt chime in on this?

Apparently soon, although I will believe it when I see it.

Here is the response I got back from Voom...

Response (VOOM Customer Care) - 07/12/2004 09:01 PM
Thank you for contacting VOOM.
The first download of this software was implemented this weekend. We are updating receivers on a nightly basis, so if you have not received the new update, it should be soon. Make sure you place your receiver in standby mode by pressing the SAT button each night before you go to bed. If you have any further questions please give us a call at 1-800-GET-VOOM and once again thank you for contacting VOOM - HDTV Delivered!
Joseph T. Grant
VOOM Email Support

bryan27 said:
Who said everyone wants a DVR or wants to pay for one? I was under the impression that the DVR would be optional and those wanting it would pay an additional fee. I don't remember anyone saying having and paying for the DVR would be manditory.

OK, 19,999+ then

You are right of course, some will opt out so perhaps only half - still a lot - and if you keep your current receiver it will mean a service call to install the WM9 module...

bryan27 said:
Bryan, once you have one, you can't live without one. I had a Dish PVR for 3 years and after dumping their SD programming, I had to go out and buy DVD recorder with a hard drive so I could catch my favorite shows. Granted, it's not HD but the playback is DVD quality and I can view at my leisure, seeing as how nothing is on that I care to watch when I want to watch it. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)