CONFIRMED: New version 6.10 has arrived! (Please post your observations here)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Got new software 6.10 last night and was able to get a few sub channels. I like the feature that lets us elimanate channels. Here in Houston we have about six spanish channels that I elimanated. Did anyone notice that the CC is better with all the words in CC. This is a good fix for us late a night tv watchers. No sound drops so far but maybe to early to tell.

Tried to turn on the box this morning - about 7:00 AM Pacific time - and it would not come on. I rebooted. The box came on alright - with a red light on the front display and a bunch of download numbers flashing on the TV!! I waited for the download to finish. Box resumed normal operation. TV showed channels fine.

Does this mean that I rebooted during the download and LOST some of it??

I just assumed that the download would be finished by very early morning.

Recieved the update about 2 am CDT
For the first time I was able to get OTA!
Scan found 2 stations. I was sooo happy, I went to bed and this morning
I could only get one, maybe its the weather we'll see.........

Strange thing.

I never turn off my A/V receiver since no sound is output when the Voom box is in standby. Early in the morning, I thought I heard voices, so I went to see who was talking on my front porch. I saw that the Voom box was powered up. I powered up my monitor and got a picture. I found this odd since I knew I had placed the Voom box in standby. I pressed the Voom button and then the green. I noticed that there was a new menu item and commented that something was different.

It might have been a mistake but I immediately went to scan for OTA channels. Probably not a good thing to do when many stations stop broadcasting at night. I did a scan and was surprised at the results. Out of the 13 channels it found, only one happened to be one I had already been receiving. The other channels were still listed in my PG but I was getting the no signal message displayed on them.

I flipped over to cable to verify that those stations were broadcasting and they were. I was picking up stations from Flint, Saginaw, and Detroit which are almost 100 miles away, maybe more. The only Lansing station I was receiving was Lansing's NBC affiliate which is 18 miles out. I called Voom and the CSR told me to try again later in the morning.

So I turned off the monitor and left the receiver on. I left the Voom box tuned to a station which was not coming in. When I got up this morning, the Voom box was in standby. I guess my wife heard the TV and turned it off before she went to work.

I flipped through and all my previously mapped stations were back but the ones I had received earlier in the morning were displaying the no signal message. I ran another OTA scan and picked up a couple more channels and my Lansing affiliates all showed up. I was still getting nothing on the Fint, Saginaw, and Detroit channels, so I reset the box. When the box came back up, all the channels I had received during the early morning scan(s) were gone. I have all the Lansing stations I picked up just a couple minutes prior to reset. This is all just plain odd. I suppose some will say it's something to do with atmospheric conditions. I just thought I'd share this odd experience.

FunkyBoss said:
The OTA signal meter now is a little misleading with the new scale. CBS-DT here is very spotty for me and I only receive it watchable about 25% of the time. And when it is watchable, the signal was at about a maximum of 30. Most other channels were at around 90 signal.

Now that I have the new 6.1 update, I checked it out early this morning and CBS was coming in (with minor dropouts) with a signal of around 85! :shocked And most others were around 95. Huh? I can see making some adjustments to the way the signal is displayed, but to have it go from 30 to 85?!? I wish it would make the signal more reliable too. :(

This comes from the System Settings screen and not the RF screen, is this correct or is it the other way around?

This made my head hurt...

Madpup said:
Early in the morning, I thought I heard voices, so I went to see who was talking on my front porch. I saw that the Voom box was powered up. I powered up my monitor and got a picture.
Your TV, receiver, and Voom STB are on your front porch? :)

wasch_24 said:
Your TV, receiver, and Voom STB are on your front porch? :)

Heh, no. But they are near the front porch, so it sounded like there were politicians on my front porch. I was late for bed and my head was fuzzy.

Alright I got the update this morning I ran a OTA scan and it found 5 new channels! I was impressed since the only one I thought I was going to pick up was the new ABC NEWS. Apparently one of the instructional TV stations broadcasts in HD (when I tuned briefly this morning it was Strech-O Vision though) also some other stations it picked up I have no idea what they are, and suddenly I'm picking up a station in West Palm Beach 30 miles away which I never could see before (although it was in the PG) Wow!

Man just for the feature of opening up Voom guide, and going to channels (something I do ALL THE TIME) and having the guide be on your channel... JUST THAT makes this feature GOLDEN.

By the way, not all providers bother with this man, ComCast and AT&T broadband have had their craptastic digital cable for years, and it always... ALWAYS defaults to channel 2. Also their menus are horribly slow.

Ilya said:
chrisc909, I have passed your information to VOOM engineers. They might contact you directly. Please keep us posted.

Ilya, thanks for your help. Box is now completely dead. Received an email from a VOOM engineer this morning who will see if they can expedite my getting a new STB.

Thanks again,
Chris

I checked with Installs Inc. If you signal doesn't have the PSIP (the call letters) of the station your trying to get encrypted in the signal, the receiver will not put it on your program guide.

I like the scan feature. I went from 12 stations to 25 (three different markets). Some I won't watch, but it's nice not to be limited to a single market anymore. It'll be great for football season. :)

ChetK said:
Are the most of you using the OTA antenna that was provided by Voom?

Not me. I use a Radio Shack Double Bow Tie antenna. Works perfect in my location for all of the Hampton Roads, VA digital station. It's mounted in the attic of my two story house.

Regards...

I'm using the Stealth Antenna, and I'm pulling in Chicago stations that are almost 100 miles away.

FunkyBoss said:
It was the RF screen with the meter used for turning the antenna as it beeps.

The RF screen uses a different scale than the OTA Signal Quality Screen under the system settings. This is why you see a great discrepancy between the two numbers.

1/2 Upgrade

I presently have two boxes and one was upgraded last night and the other says it is targeted to the upgrade. Thought that was a little odd but one has scanning....it does not pick up my main local channels but I will grab the actual digital locations and do the full scan later.

Oh and just for the whiner Area Code 937.................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)