Not open for further replies.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Plan* 1

There's a strong possibility for a software upgrade next week. The software upgrade is the maintenance (Remember that they were for PPV and Security code) upgrade of last time with the bugs worked out. There are a couple of minor new features added but nothing major.

Plan* 2

Super DMA is almost done and it is testing mode at this point. As soon as it is done, it will be push to your stbs but not before the software upgrade. Don't know how long it will take after software upgrade either.

*Disclaimer
*any plan is contingent to a lot of factors that are beyond my control in conveying this information to you. If for some reason neither of these plans happen in the allotted time don't shoot the messenger. Thank you.

Thanks for the update Sean. I wish Voom would make this info available publicly themselves.

7.26 here in Seattle and so far, so good!

Since we had not been able to get our OTA ch. 9 PBS in HD for several months (while having received it before) VOOM targeted us with 7.26 which included a remapping for 9-5 HD. It works!

In several hours of viewing we have had no lockups (where before we had been getting them almost daily) and changing channels takes 2-3 sec. without any pixilation. Even ran up and down the PG rapidly, stopping, going back and forth and so far, so good.

The green button on the VOOM page can be punched twice to take you directly to System Settings. Nice. The * button takes you directly to the closed captioning and caller ID menu where you can toggle between On and Off. Can't tell if these features work yet. There may be other changes that we haven't discovered but since we didn't use Favorites, Parental Control, etc. in the past we don't know about these.

All right VOOM! We really appreciate all the work that is being done on the technical front. Now if we can get the marketing department to live up to these standards VOOM will remain the HD leader.

Watching HDTV under foggy Seattle skies, Gill

Gill,

thanks for sharing the features for v726. Those were the ones that I was told that are in the software plus the fact that it is a very stable release.

The following quote comes from our local forum where gross67 posted the information about the Super DMA

the "super DMA" mapping is based on FCC digital contours rather than strict DMA assignment. Voom web site is based on FCC "digital contours" for each channel, so
if there is any chance that it would be receivable, it will show up
there. Your channel map is limited to a single DMA, so you will see fewer
channels.

We are changing all of this in the next couple of months, when we will
implement off-air scanning. Your box will get a "master map" of
channels in your DMA and surrounding DMAs. The box will then scan frequencies
to see which channels are receivable. Then the installer (or viewer,
subsequent to install) can decide which channels to retain in the map.

This way you don't polute your lineup with a bunch of channels that you
can never receive. In the NY DMA, for instance, there are now 27
off-airs in the map. I doubt that anyone can receive all of these, and many
people only get a handful due to location specifics.

Any word on lengthing the EPG data? I was told in the past they were going to increase it from 3 days (I don't remember the exact length... maybe 7 or 30 days?).

-John

jgantert said:
Any word on lengthing the EPG data? I was told in the past they were going to increase it from 3 days (I don't remember the exact length... maybe 7 or 30 days?).

-John

I do not know the answer to your question. I cannot see 30 days and possibly cannot see 7 days with the current stb because of lack of memory in the stb. The DVR could probably do a week to two weeks.

slick1ru2 said:
I never got the last upgrade and show no target.
The last upgrade (7.0B) was only sent to 10-20% of the customers and then rolled back due to some issues.
VOOM has not released this new one yet. Once they do, you will be targeted as others. Perhaps they will do it in small portions again.

Slight update on 7.26 in Seattle

Should have mentioned in my original post that OTAs can be removed from the PG which is appreciated.

Did have our first lockup last night changing channels. Maybe STB as we had this problem under 6.20 as well and it seems many of you did not. And yes we did have the STB replaced in June(?) due to lockups.

Watching HDTV under mostly cloudy Seattle skies, Gill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts